Thursday, August 20, 2009

Some Scribbles

Some notes I jotted in my journal because obviously not every day is a well-edited essay.

At breakfast: Isaac sweeps a hand over the table decked out with our plates of pancakes and complete with a group of small stuffed animals eating mini pancakes, “Is this real? Is this all real?” “What do you think?” Almost to himself he says again, “Is this real?” “What do you think?” I ask again. “I think it is! My animals are real. I give them words and they talk.”

One day in July:
Bedtime conversation with Isaac: “My something special was seeing the boat dock and the tugboat. (Talking about stuffed friends) Dora was at the temple. Bluey and Ne-ne went on a walk. That’s all.”

Benjamin created The “Puppy-Pulley” and gave rides to all the puppies, the cat and Isaac’s horse all afternoon long.

Another day in July:
While Benjamin and I were making our list of things we would do for the day.

1. Get dressed
2. Hang up wet swim suits (that were soaking from yesterday)
3. Make a robot
4. Go to the beach
5. School

Benjamin discovered that Dylan and Isaac had been following their own agenda in the playroom. “Emergency!!! Emergency!!”

I went to the playroom to discover a bit of mayhem. I looked at Isaac and said, “What are you doing?” He puckered up and blew me a big kiss. They had a regular playdoh factory in progress—playdoh and toys to hither and yon. According to Benjamin it was an “emergency because had mixed all the playdoh colors together and had made a mess on the floor and they should have played with it outside.” We decided that
1. Mixing the colors wasn’t so terrible and they look pretty
2. It would have been better if they had played outside “and asked permission”
3. But it could all be cleaned up
4. And it would be good to clean it all up if everyone wanted to go to the beach.

That’s the least little emergency ever.

Another day or so later:
Isaac climbing out of the bicycle trailer says, “Done for the day. That’s what Pampa always says.”

On a Sunday afternoon:
Isaac fell asleep and missed eating dinner with all of us. Once he woke up he was insistent that we all needed to sit down again and have dinner with him. I suggested that maybe he could eat with Dora, (stuffed dog) and Panda instead. “NOoo…I want to eat with real people who can talk to me.” Once we had all acquiesced and sat down at the table with him since who really does want to sit alone eating with the gecko on the ceiling and the moth flying around, he then insisted that we all needed to have food. We tried to protest; we’ve already eaten. But of course, that wouldn’t do. So I said to Benjamin “Why don’t you get your bag of leftover fruit loops?" It had been that day’s be-quiet-in-church-incentive. Jubilant Benjamin jumps up, “I thought you’d never ask!”

Highlights of the Week (July 25-August 1):

Roulettes: Boats and racing around the gazebos and making sure that Dylan didn’t get himself too involved in the soccer game some kids were playing in front of the roulettes (little stands that sell food).
Benjamin’s prayer for Linda and her children on the night they were flying to Tahiti
Friday night shopping at Carrefour
Fair in Fa'aa
• rode dragon roller coaster
• “train” ride with boys in forklift, jeep and tow truck
• steak and fries dinner
• Orangina, Orangina, Orangina (Dylan's chant any time he sees a bottle of his favorite drink coming to our table).
• Tamari Group Performance (One of the groups that performed in Heiva. WOW!)

PK 18 Beach Day
Walked along the oceanside to meet Eric at the beach
Great snorkeling
Getting a calling at church—I knew because I heard my name over the podium even though I didn’t know what the calling was (Primary pianist)
Last day with Sister Eleanor as the nursery teacher. (Sniff)

August 3, 2009
After a Family Home Evening in which Benjamin had arranged the furniture, led us in the songs, selected the stories to retell (Lehi and the tree of life and King Benjamin complete with capes and scripture quoting), initiated the game (hide and seek) and then took us all outside for desert, he says, “That was my best ever Family Home Evening that I ever put on.”

Talking with Isaac about going to school, Eric says, “What do say when you go to school.” Isaac: “Toilette!”

Special Things of the Day:

Benjamin: "Family Home Evening and making a circus tent outside."

Isaac: “Taking a plane trip with the animals and getting back to Tahiti.”

Dylan: “Beach. Fun.”

August 5, 2009
Benjamin announces as he passes me: “We’re H.I.P.’s. When there are fires we rush to them and open the emergency doors. We also set things up for performances. There’s going to be one tonight.” Hears pretend fire. “Sorry. I’ve got to go. We’ve got to go open the emergency doors.”

Lately August 19, 2009:

Isaac: “Where’s that big fancy car that I drew for you yesterday?”
Me: “In the kitchen.”
Isaac: “It’s a van. I forgot to draw you in it.”

Me: “Do you think you can handle this school thing?”
Isaac: “You know I don’t speak French.”
Isaac: “My teacher asked me if I learn French. Where does she live?”

6 comments:

  1. Hey - dunno if my emails are still going to your spam, but are you sending that DVD image to me tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to hear more about your life there. Your boys are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh... I love this, Renee. I wish I could sit at your kitchen table with my Froot Loops too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Benjamin et Isaac: vous aimez l'ecole? Je vous aime beaucoup!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spicer is taking French at school- he and Hope got new laptops and I know they want skype- once they get it we will have to try and hook up online sometime- I guess when y'all get your new computer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Notes from your journal. Perfect. Every day is definitely not a well-edited essay!

    ReplyDelete