Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Through the Looking Glass



We're just about to step through the glass and find ourselves in an entirely different hemisphere.



To be exact. On Tuesday, June 2nd, we will fly out to Los Angeles, CA. There we hope not to be eaten by any of Trevor's lego creations, watch Isabella swan dive, try to keep pace with Natasha and sword fight with Daniel--the cousins. On Friday afternoon we hope to leave LA with all of our baggage on an Air Tahiti flight headed to the island of Tahiti in French Polynesia.

We will be flying over a lot of ocean. Like ten hours or so. I'm not sure. I'm just showing up. Eric has my passport and our tickets. Oh and I have to try to pack us. Under 50 pounds per piece. I'm more worried about that than all the hours over the ocean. Well, I'm also really hoping that we don't end up on some time shifting island LOST or somewhere with coconuts for friends.

I've already started packing. Two months ago. Nine months ago. I've lost track. That's a lie. I know exactly how long we've been trying to move overseas. It's a lot of time to think about things. And make lists and try to predict things I have no way of predicting. There's a lot I don't know. Do the toilets swirl a different direction? I don't know. How hot is hot and for how much of the time? I don't know. I just don't know. I don't even know French or Tahitian so it will be hard for a little while to ask about what I don't know.

So I'm facing my fears with zip lock baggies. Baggies for everything. I've even made clothing sets for the boys and put them in baggies. For the trip. Underwear included. One zip lock bag. Clothing for three little boys. Pretty foolproof. Even a molecular scientist should be able to dress three boys in 10 minutes or less with one zip lock bag. Say, maybe I'll write a paper on the results of my own experiment.

And well, if we end up on the wrong island, maybe my zip lock bags will drift ashore and save my life! Or the universe will revolt against so much use of environmentally unfriendly plastic.

Oh dear. I think I just saw that rabbit again.

2 comments:

  1. What and exciting expierence you get to have. I can't wait to hear about all your little excursions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Hopie said to Lauren on Facebook: "Breathe in, breathe out." It will all be okay and your organizing will make sure of that!! Are you having fun yet? LOL

    ReplyDelete