Sunday, March 9, 2008

High Jinx at the High Museum

So, what do you get when you take a "bevy of children" (our greeting from another visitor) to an art museum? After you walk up all the four flights of the roaming ramp in the light-filled atrium and try to keep heads from going through the railings on the top floor, lots of "No, Isaac. Don't touch that Isaac. Stay with mom Isaac." Many understanding and mostly amused nods from staff and gray-haired onlookers living more leisurely life moments. And great joy rides on the glass elevator--by far the most impressive feature of the museum for the boys. But beyond mild Isaac wrestling, it was fun just to see what the guys would do in the world of art. It was definitely new to them. We played some perspective games and find what your eyes like most in and around romps under the benches and twirls in vast galleries. Benjamin always likes a good adventure to the land of skyscrapers and was only disappointed that we didn't end the day with a jaunt over to Ikea. He even grasped enough of the form and shape of the art museum to later recognize it in one of picture books about Atlanta. That made me happy. Isaac also got to do lots of touching and romping in a fun kid-centered learning center and we made a sun-catcher in the toddler craft room. I really liked a piece that a guy created by making a collage of items found in dump site that he formed to look like a portrait on the floor of an aircraft hanger. He then took an aerial picture of his elaborate grouping. Nifty. What could we make on the floor of our basement with our tossables? I also got to see my first Mark Rothko in person. I like those blocks of color. The O'Keefe exhibit was sweet too. I learned that she taught art to children for a time and was inspired by them. I relate. And I did wish a little bit that my art students would slow a little so I could gaze more intently. Some day the boys just might think it's cool that they looked a true Monet in the eye and saw larger than life posies. But for now, if Isaac could tell me in so many words, I think he'd be sure to vote for a construction site for our next field trip. Not a bad idea actually!

3 comments:

  1. Someday these field trips will be memorable in their lives and you are very brave for taking the boys to get a little culture! I remember the days of taking too many little ones to many places of interest and vacationing with them around the country. Although it seemed a chore that might be eliminated at the time, they are sweet memories now for me and hopefully for them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we love all the places we went . . . and I am sure it was crazy to take us-
    Renee your adventure reminds me of one I took when Ti was a baby. You see there are free museum days at Balboa Park and so I wanted to give my kids some culture too- so off we went to the art museum. Spicer was trying to escape, Ti screamed in the stroller, Lauren wanted to linger at the paintings, and Hope was just onery. People looked at me like I was crazy! Don't know if they got anything out of it= but points for trying! (The model RR museum went over better!
    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun little field-trip. Your boys and Riley are growing up so fast. I sure miss them all.

    Tell Benjamin that Kaitlyn says "HI"

    ReplyDelete