Saturday, February 16, 2008

Check That Off the List


RUN the REAGAN (Parkway)! It was one of those things that I thought I'd always like to try--just to know what it would be like. So today not only marked the two years of having an Isaac in my world to love, I also ran--yes RAN--my first 5K. That's pretty big for me--I hadn't really thought I could try it, until a friend gave me the right kind of encouragement. I generally don't find reasons to run, so I've never known the glory of the race. (Except for winning three-legged races with Leta at Primary track meets and beating the clock for BYU's Fitness for Life class to get my "A" time. Everything--even running--for that "A.") Besides the number five always sounded so daunting to me. Two of something. That sounds reasonable, but 5K? But then I got a better handle on my metrics and thought more about the distance being somewhere in between five and two in miles and I decided I might manage it. I knew I could walk it, but could I run it and how fast? So I got some new tennis shoes and got serious with my workouts. I have to say, it's pretty cool to cross a finish line! And I had my best time ever! Adrenalin rush!!! Not a bad way to celebrate two years of mothering Isaac and all the heavy lifting that has required.

Eric also amazed me today. He pushed Benjamin and Isaac in the jogging stroller and made great time with his sixty pounds plus of extra load up and down the hills. It was awesome to cheer my trio across the finish line. And the little birthday boy looked so sweet--fast asleep while Daddy jogged under the clock.

GO TEAM CHAMBERS. It's definitely a step (actually lots of steps) in the right direction...what's next on the list?

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Renee, it looks like that practicing for the 5K has made you skinnier. You go girl!!


    The Grammie Girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! you are such an inspiration and Happy Birthday to Isaac! Liam's 2nd birthday is May 3, we need to have a play date :)

    ReplyDelete